This widget is able to get a specific Excel file from OneDrive and display it within GoBright View. It retrieves information from a specified sheet and a set range.
How does GoBright access the Excel file?
GoBright View has access to the Excel file using a service account. The Excel file can either be shared with (1) the service account or owned by (2) the service account.
- A user can create an Excel file somewhere in their OneDrive and then give the service account access to that file (detailed steps below).
- The file can be created in the OneDrive of the service account itself.
After the one time configuration any changes to the Excel fil will automatically show up in GoBright View within 5 minutes.
Before you begin...
This widget makes use of the Microsoft Graph API which is a way to get information from Office 365 to GoBright View. If this is not setup yet this needs to be configured by an Azure admin first. Please follow this article: Graph API
The Excel file needs to be shared with the service account or needs to be owned by the service account. This service account is then used by the GoBright Excel widget to access the file.
First: determine if the file should be shared with or owned by the service account. Pick whatever works best in your situation, but carefully read the next steps:
If the file is shared with the service account:
- Open a browser and go to onedrive.com. Sharing the file from within Windows won't work, please follow these steps:
- Log in with your own user account (not the service account)
- Locate or create the Excel file that needs to be displayed in GoBright View
- Right click the file
- Select Manage Access
- Under Direct Access, add the email address of the service account
- Untick Notify people (optional)
- Click Grant access
If the file is owned by the service account:
- Open a browser and go to onedrive.com
- Make sure the file is in the root folder (that is the "My Files" folder)
To make sure the service account has access to this file:
- Open an incognito window (or log out from OneDrive)
- Go to onedrive.com
- Log in with the service account
- Go to the 'Shared' folder
- Under 'Shared with you' the Excel file should be visible. If not, GoBright View won't be able to access the file. Please try sharing the file again by repeating the steps above.
If the Excel file is visible you can continue to the next part of this guide.
Within GoBright View
- Go to portal.gobright.cloud
- Log in with your GoBright account and open the GoBright View portal
- Create a template or slide
- Click + Add widget
- Click Custom widget
- Select the Excel widget
If you don't see the widget in your View environment, please contact your GoBright partner.
- Click Done
The Excel widget should now be added to the slide
- Fill in the parameters with the information provided by your Azure admin:
- Tenant ID
- Client ID
- Client Secret Value
- File Owner
If the file is shared with the service account: select External Account
If the file is owned by the service account: select Service Account
- Email address of the service account
- Password of the service account
- File name of the Excel file
- Sheet name - Make sure this matches with the sheet in your Excel file, otherwise View will show an error message.
- Range - This affects which and how many rows and columns will be displayed in the widget. You may select a smaller range if you want to display less columns or rows.
- The other parameters can be used to change display settings such as colours
The data of the Excel file should now be visible
- Save the slide or add the template to a playlist
- Go to the Scheduling tab
- Click Update content
That's it. The data from the Excel file should be visible on your GoBright View displays.
If the widget does not show any data or throws an error:
- Make sure the service account has access to the file by logging in to OneDrive with the service account and check if the file is in the right location
- Check if all parameters are set correctly
Starting august 2022, this configuration is no longer supported. We have updatet the GoBright View widgets accordingly. If you are still using an older widget and want to migrate please contact our support team.
There are five pieces of information that are required besides the connection with the Graph API:
- The email address of the user that owns the excel file
- (optional) the folder name and/or path (only if the file is not located in the users' root folder)
- The filename of the Excel document
- The Sheet name
- The range that should be displayed
These details need to be entered in the Widget parameters. Then the data should be visible in the widget.